Friday, November 19, 2010

MIXED MEDIA / ART JOURNAL


Good Afternoon papercrafters.  On a previous post I shared with you that I had been inspired by the "Inspiration Wednesday" video's by Donna Downey.   Every wednesday Donna explores different techniques and ways to apply color.  She does this in her "inspiration journal".  You can view a list of all of them on her blog HERE.  I am enjoying learning about different ways to apply color. 


I have decided to display my "journal pages" on my 7 Gypsies Photo stand and will share these with you as I create them. 

So for this page I started with water color paper.  Apply a water down yellow acrylic paint.  I used a green water color crayon around the edges.  I just colored it on and then added a little water with a wet paint brush, blending with the yellow.  I wanted it a little lighter in the middle so I used some white acrylic paint here and there til I got the look I wanted.  Next I used my Layers of Color Natural Flourish art stencil .  So easy to use.  I applied VersaMagic Tea Leaves with this in 2 of the corners.  My butterflies and the floral center in the large flower are from "Flutterescent" and "Flowering Gem" clear art stamp sets by Layers of Color.  I needed a center for the flower so I started digging through my stash and found this neglected pack of metal brads.  Just big enough to fit.  To tie everything in, I decided to add some gold around the edge of my frame (really old as well) and butterflies.  I think the ruffled ribbon works great for the stem and leaves.  The quote is from Inspirational Quotes.
The font style is totally inspired by Donna.  To finish it off, I used a charcoal pencil around the edges.

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend!

14 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

this is a beautiful creation Melisa - love your use of colour here.
Blessings
Maxine

Judy Rozema said...

What an artistic card! I love the pop of red! Thanks for playing in the Paper Romance challenge!

Sudha said...

beautiful work dear.

Hugs
Sudha.

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Fabulous artwork, Melisa!! So fresh and lovely!!

sue said...

Very striking use of colour! Lovely! Thanks for joining us at Southern Girls Challenge :)

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Melisa - this is gorgeous! I love your appliction of colour and the way you have combined the images - you have such a great eye for detail Melisa - there is always so much to look at with your gorgeous works of the heart! Love it! {{{hugs}}}

Grace said...

This is gorgeous Melisa! I love the rich red against the yellow! Beautiful use of the stencil!!! I love Donna Downy too! So inspirational! Have a wonderful week!

carol said...

Fabulous card,love the colours and the use of different mediums.Thanks for shareing it with us at southern girls

Chrissie said...

Super card Melisa!
Thanks for sharing it with us at MTTC.
Chrissie

Julie said...

This is so beautiful, Thankyou for joining us for challenge 6 at Southern Girls! Happy crafting,Julie.x

Mary Duffek said...

Very creative and fun! Fabulous job.

Sue McMahon said...

Hi Melisa,
I love what you did with the ribbon and flower! Very cute!!!
Happy Holidays!
Sue

cardmaking bird said...

This is truly beautiful and so nice to see something a bit different. Thanks for playing along with us at Southern Girls. Marie x

Kim's Creations said...

I am loving your blog! You do amazing work and at the same time you are very inspiring!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...