Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fabric Artist Trading Cards

Good Morning paper crafters!  I love trying new things, and a couple of months ago I came across a yahoo group that creates Fabric Artist Trading Cards ( 2 1/2" x 3 1/2").  I had never heard of such a thing, so I joined the group just to see what it was all about, because I like making trading cards.  And oh what fun I have had learning to work with fabric to create art. 

The group has a monthly theme for their swap.  Once you have made your card, you upload it to that months "album" and then at the end of the month, we swap.


I was told that a true fabric trading card is fabric from front to back.  All of mine but the last one have paper on the back.  I picked up a couple of embroidery books and as you can see, I am still learning.
The theme for this one was "April Showers Bring May Flowers" and it could be anything spring-like.  So I decided a potted plant would be fun to attempt, and easy for me to cut the pot shape.  This was the first time I had ever done the applique stitch.  It's a little rough, hopefully I will get better.  And the flowers and leaves are a very simple detached chain stitch.  I wanted a more decorated border, so I decided to try the Pekinese stitch on this one.  I really like how this one turned out, and I'm not sure if I'm going to trade it or not.



This is the one I have up for trade this month.  I figured the easiest way to create these would probably be to find fabric with a cute design and embellish it, since I'm new to this.  I used several different stitches on this one as well.  Did you know there is an Embroidery Stitch Bible book.  Yep, and I figured if it was the bible for stitching then that was the one I needed!  Ha.  Over 200 stitches in this book.  Ok, I will probably never use more than the 10 simplest, teehee.  The border on this one almost drove me crazy!  But once I got in a grove, I picked up pace.  It's called a "crossed sloping blanket stitch".  I think it finished the edges nicely.



This was the first one I created, for March's "Green" challenge.  And it is still up for trade if anyone is interested.  I stamped the flower images on felt, which did not stamp very well, but there was enough of an image to use as guidelines.  I used simple outline stitching and french knots, and then embellished with glitter glue.  I used a simple blanket stictch around the edges. 



And this is the one I traded for March's "Green" challenge.  I actually used the sewing machine on this one!  I would use that thing more, but I HATE changing the thread colors out.  I started with a piece of decorative fabric on this one.  I cut the fabric butterflies out and stiffened them with white glue so I could pop them up and shape the wings.  I stitched a piece of matching ribbon down the side and added a flower button.

So what do think about my latest creative outlet???  I love to try new things, so who knows how long I will create these.  But I figure I could handle at least 1 a month for the swap.

Wanna join me???  The group has a huge membership, but not very many participating.  We would love to have you join us if you like working with fabric and want to give it a try!



If you need more info on Artisted Trading Cards and a list of resources, then check out this post from last year:

You can view all of my ATC's HERE

Check out the Fabric Artist Trading Card group HERE.  PLEASE join me!

Have a great day!
Melisa

10 comments:

Patti J said...

Wow, Melisa! These are amazing!!! You are so talented - thanks for sharing!

Sudha said...

Wow Melisa, these r awesome dear.

Karenliz Henderson said...

Beautiful! The ATC with the yellow butterfly is stunning.

Betty Benton said...

You continue to amaze me, girlfriend! You have done a fabulous job on this new craft!

Linda Beeson said...

Wow are these wonderful! They would be so cool as part of a quilt or a wall hanging. Fabulous little details.

Kim said...

These are all so Gorgeous!

I think there all unique and anyone would be lucky to own one of these miniture works of art!

My favorite is the one on the felt...

Can't wait to see more :)

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

These are wonderful and excellent, Melisa!! I'm a fabric lover at heart, and I'm loving these! Fantastic!

HappyCrafter said...

WOW!!! I love the texture and richness of it, and your embroidery is so beautiful!!

Davi said...

Fab Job on all of there Melisa!! Your embroidery is looking good :)

Shirley said...

Wow, I was just getting ready to leave and saw these! I love needlework. I've been doing it for years. Yours is just lovely....every single one and stitch too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...