Monday, January 16, 2012

Prismacolor Pencil / Oderless Mineral Spirits Tutorial


Good morning paper crafters!  How was your weekend??  I had a great weekend because my friend Robin came over on saturday for some crafty time.  This card was designed for this week's challenge over at SpeedyTV #3 (2012) to use pencils ONLY.  So I thought I would  share a Prismacolor Pencil tutorial.  I know a lot cardmakers out there are using Copics, but I think there are probably some using Prismacolor Pencils as well.  Below you will find some photo's show you how I colored the images before I began blending with the oderless mineral spirits and the after.  The top row of each image is an example of using darker shading around the edges.  It's really just a matter of practice.  If you need to review the basic's then you may find my article HERE helpful.  It reviews all the tools / bascic information and links.
The colors I used are Koh-i-nor pencil #14 and Prismacolor pencil #1030 for the pinks.  On the samples below I used #1005 for the green and on the card sample I used #908.



When selecting colors to combine, I use a color chart. Below is an example of mine that I created using Microsoft Excel.    I left room to add more colors if needed.  



I begin blending from the darker area's to the lighter with the oderless mineral spirits, pulling the darker color toward the lighter.  If the image is big enough, I actually turn the nib over on its side a little.  And I blend in circular motions. 



If your nib gets too much color on the end of it, it may not blend as well.  At that point I switch to a clean nib.  After the old nib has dried a little, you can sand the color off. 


I hope this tutorial was helpful.
Thanks for stopping by today!
Melisa

******************************************************
Project Details
Stamps : Mark's Finest Papers "Floral Tea"
Patterned Paper : My Mind's Eye Lost and Found Two Blush "Sweet" Bouquet
Die : Spellbinders "Fancy Tags Two"
Roses : Wild Orchids
Lace and Pearls : Hobby Lobby
Ribbon : Offray

You can view all of my Tea / Teacup related projects HERE

You can view more Prismacolor Pencil Tutorials HERE.

*********************************************************

Challenges

Sentamental Sundaes is looking for ribbon and a sentiment.
SSIC wants us to use something new - this is the first time I have used my new fancy labels die set!
Wild Orchid's challenge is Anything Goes, in addition I used roses from Wild Orchids.
Stampin' With the Dragon wants to see frames - I framed my sentiment

15 comments:

Cheryl First said...

I love this technique, and have wanted to try it for a long time! Your card has really inspired me - now I'm on a quest to find some of those odorless mineral spirits!
Thanks for joining in at Stamping with the Dragon!
Cheryl First
Stamping Dragon DT

Joan Ervin said...

What a beautiful card, Melisa...you do such beautiful coloring with Prismacolors!!!! I got mine out a week ago and messed up an image pretty bad...LOL!!! Thanks for the tutorial...I'll have to give it another try!!!

Katie Butler said...

I loved seeing all the images on your tutorial. Great job! Thanks for joining us at Stamping with Dragon.

lisa808 said...

Thanks for the tips.

Janne said...

This is so cute! Thanks for joining us at Sentimental Sundays. Hugs Janne

Cheryl said...

Very pretty! I love the tea pot & cup images with the elegant accents.

Benzi said...

Nice tutorial and a beautiful card. Love the paper on this card..looks super with your image.

Tracey said...

Fantastic card Melisa & thank you for the tutorial :)
Thanks for joining us at Sentimental Sundays & Good Luck!
Hugs
Tracey
x

Traci M said...

Your card is so pretty, prim and proper...love it in the dainty pinks!! I need to brush up on my prismas...too many mediums, not enough time! Great tutorial, too!
Thank you so much for joining us this week at Stampin' Sisters in Christ!!

Love crafts forever said...

Gorgeous card. Thanks for playing at SWTD.
Hugs Nataliya.

Peggysuez said...

What a lovely job and such a great tutorial on your color selection. Thanks for joining us this week at Stampin' Sisters in Christ!

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Melisa - what a gorgeous card - it makes me want to join you for a lovely cup of tea! Great tutorial too - thanks! Thank you for joining us at Stampin' Sisters in Christ - we love to see you and appreciate your support! {{{hugs}}}
Linda SSIC Design Team

MariLynn said...

Melisa, gorgeous card. I love your lacy table cloth for your teaparty!! Great tutorial!! I am so jealous of all your pinks, but happy for you. I have a pink prisma and a peach prisma colored pencils. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with the SSIS.

wahixane77 said...

Just beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Sentimental Sundays, Olivia

Lena Katrine said...

Great creation in beautiful colours and lovely details! Thanks for joining our Anything Goes challenge at WOC, but please read the rules on top of our blog before entering our challenges the next time!
Hugs, Lena Katrine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...