Tuesday, November 19, 2013

MIXED MEDIA - Mini Art Journal #2



Hello mixed media fans.  Today I am sharing 2 more pages from my mini art journal.  Each page is 3 3/8" 5 1/4".  I love that it is small enough to feature some of my favorite stamp images.  Today's project features "Fly Fairy" by Red Rubber Designs.  I also used the script image from the upper right corner from "Vintage Background" and one of the phrases from "Be Happiness".


1.  Cover pages with Gesso.  I applied several coats.

2. Stamp image with water-proof ink (Palette Noir Black or Staz-On).  I used Momento Tuxedo Black and heat set it with my heat gun.  Fold the book covers / pages back allowing you to place the page you are stamp on over a hard surface.  I used my Speedball Linoleum Block from Michaels.  I know some people use a soft surface to stamp .... but I like to use a hard surface and it works especially well for stamping on the page of a book. 





3.  Use the end of the sprayer to sprinkle "Party Pink" Glimmer Mist Spray. 

4. Stamp script and distress dots (from Fly Fairy) images with Momento's Lilac Posies



If you don't like the results ... wanted more of a dreamy look, then you can pat on some gesso randomly.


5. Stamp corner images and some distress dots (from Fly Fairy) with black ink on the Speedball Linoleum block.


6. Watercolor image with Lyra or Neocolor Watercolor Crayons (I used #'s 010 028, 100, & 180).  I did use my Niji Watercolor brushes on this project because I wasn't trying to be so precise with shading on this project. (not sure how they compare ... but I noticed RRD has a sale on their watercolor brushes HERE)

7. Stamp sentiment on left lower page and "fly" randomly with black ink.

8.  Create a tag from watercolor paper, spritz lightly with water, then Glimmer Mist Turquoise Blue spray ink.  If you spray too much, blot off with a napkin to you get a mottled / distressed look.  While the tag is still wet, stamp with same script image used on background above, with black ink, so that the ink bleeds / fades a little.  Ink edges with black ink, doodle around edges. Tie ribbon at top of tag

9.  Create the sentiment flag from watercolor paper.  Apply yellow pigment using a watercolor crayon / Niji Brush keeping it a little darker around the edges.  After it is dry, stamp with black ink.  Ink edges with black ink and doodle around edges.  Adhere to tag.
10. Adhere tag to page.

Hope you are inspired to start an art journal of your own to create in.

In case you missed it last year ... here is a photo of the outside of my larger mixed media art journal.




You can check out all of my Mixed Media Tutorials HERE.

Have a fabulous week!
Melisa

1 comment:

kiwimeskreations said...

Love this page - and the tutorial as to how to achieve it.
You are so encouraging Melisa - what paper do you use in your journal? I want to know as I think an art journal will be my next years challenge.
Blessings
Maxine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...