Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Fruit of the Spirit" Blog Hop Day 3

Good Morning and welcome to Day 3 of the Layers of Color / 2 Sketches 4 You "Fruit of the Spirit" Blog Hop

I am off to work early this am and wanted to make sure my post was up, so please be patient while the other ladies get theirs up this morning.

Also playing along today:

If you missed my post monday where I explained what this hop is all about, then please scroll down. And remember that Layers of Color is sponsoring the 2 Sketches 4 You challenge blog this week. So hop on over and see what you have to do to qualify to win a free stamp set!


For this project I used Fruitful Harvest and one of the new release cling art stamps - Victorian Frame.  I also used one of Layers of Color's art stencils - Belle Brocade.  Did you know that Layers of Color is a Spellbinders Preferred Partner??  LOC has some awesome images that coordinate with Labels 14 and 16.  You can check the all out HERE.

You may have noticed that the coloring on the fruit is not my style.  I cased a card made by Layers of Color owner and artist, Laura Kirste Campbell.  I just love how she blends colors together in a way I would never come up with, so I decided to give it a try.  Isn't Laura's card below gorgeous!  She combined Fruitful Harvest with Acanthus Leaves and Her Majesty's Urns.  I just love how all of Layers of Color's stamps fit so well together!



Project Details

For my card today, I went with watercoloring for my colorization.   I used Strathmore Watercolor cold press paper.  I think the main thing I look for with watercolor paper is getting one as smooth as possible.  If there is too much texture, then your image want stamp properly.  The next decision when working with watercolor is ink.  Palette and Staz-on are water-proof.  Momento is not, but might work if you heat set it.  I'm not sure.   It took several attempts for me to get a good stamped image, because of the texture.  I have started using a linolium block that I picked up at a Michaels and I'm finding it is improving my stamping because the table I work on is not level in spots.  (see photo at bottom of post). 

There are alot of different choices for watercolor techniques, from very inexpensive sets to higher end water colors in tubes.  There are watercolor crayons and pencils.  I have tried all of these and the watercolor pencils are my least favorite now that I have tried them all.  In addition, some of the inks you use for stamping can be watered down and used.  Just smear some on a piece of acetate and add a few drops of water.  Mix it together with a paint brush and you are ready to go.  Not all stamp inks blend well with the water though.  Stampin' Up does not.  But my VersaMagic and Brilliant inks by Tsukinek work well for this.  There are also shimmery options.  You can use your Glimmer Mist, Shimmerz, or H2O Watercolors.  I own and have tried all of these.  For me it just depends on what color I'm looking for and the opacity.  Today I wanted a shimmery look, so I went with my Shimmerz.  I used Pumpkin, Lilac, Golden Wheat, and Green Olive.  I needed a lighter shade green as well so I used my Sage VersaMagic ink pad. 

I begin by lightly wetting the area I'm going to be working with.  Then I start adding color.  Have a paper towel on stand by.  If the color is to dark, blot it off.  I used my finger a few times to help blend the colors.

I'm not a watercolor expert and most of what I have learned was through trying the different products and just playing.  I love the softness you can get with the watercolors and it's so much fun to try different colorization techniques.  I would love to take a class some day.
I hope you will be inspired to give it a try!  If you choose to give it a try, I would love to see your work!

For the rest of the project:
I used cuticle scissors to cut around the image.  I stamped Victorian Frame on a lilac dp by K&Company.  I used Copics, G82 and G85 to color some portions of the image.  I used Labels 14, slightly smaller to fit inside the image and slightly larger to border the image, from beige paper, and a larger one from purple paper as well.  Adhere Victorian Frame to purple border, and adhere beige smaller cut to inside on top of image.  Adhere Fruitful Harvest image on top.  I put a couple of pop dots in the center of mine.  I stenciled Belle Brocade on lilac dp. 

I created my own little ruffle border using crepe paper.  That gorgeous lace is by Webster Pages.  It came in my October Pixie Dust Shabby Chic Kit.  You can check out all the wonderful projects on the Pixie Dust Paperie Blog.  You can check out these fun kits in The Pixie Shop HERE.  Not sure who make the green velvet. 

After inking edges assemble as shown.

I'm using mine for an upcoming birthday card I needed.


Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day!

Some of the products used
My new stamp surface - Speedball Linolium, availabel at Michaels

used to apply ink with stencil 


 Shimmerz Paints
Spellbinders Labels 14


18 comments:

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Melisa - what a gorgeous card! I love the colours and your colouring - you have rocked at this! The lightly stenciled background is wonderful - just the right touch for this delish image! Love the lace too - thanks for all of the inso and all of the inspiration! {{{HUGS}}}

Melissa Craig said...

Beautiful cards! Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

Gloria Westerman said...

Very Pretty.....and I agree with you analyze on coloring choice....I love how you color this....beautiful.....tfs

Chrissy D said...

Melisa- this is GORGEOUS! WOW!!!! Hope you are finding more balance these days! I know first hand how hard it is to keep from filling up your days with the urgent and not the important. Keeping you in my prayers!

Jennie said...

BEAUTIFUL designs Melisa!! Lovely colors and your stenciling is perfect. TFS!!!

Debbie said...

Melissa, this is simply GORGEOUS! The colors are perfect and the floral watercolored image is breathtaking ... all the time it must have taken to painstakingly cut that out - WOW! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing creation with us this week in the Tea Room :)

MariLynn said...

Melisa, this is gorgeous. This is one of my favorites of your cards. The coloring on the fruit is AWESOME. This card has such a rich elegant look!

JaniceAileen said...

Seriously, BEAUTIFUL!!!! Melisa, I need to come craft with you--you are inspiring! :)

Grace said...

Oh Melisa these are both stunning!!! I am in awe of your watercoloring! Soooo beautiful and love the purples! Rich and yummy!

Patti J said...

Beautiful creations!!! (As always...) I think I forgot Day 2!!! I was barely on the computer yesterday - must check it out too! Thanks for sharing!

Patti J said...

Beautiful creations!!! (As always...) I think I forgot Day 2!!! I was barely on the computer yesterday - must check it out too! Thanks for sharing!

HappyCrafter said...

These are gorgeous! I especially like the skirt frill thing. Take care :-)

Nicole said...

Beautiful! Your coloring job is amazing! Thanks for playing along with us at TSTR! :)

Clare said...

AMAZING, stunning detail, love it! thanks for playing along with us at the Shabby Tea Room!

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Stunning card, Melisa!! I've learned some things from you today too! Thank you!

Hugs!

Linda Beeson said...

What a royal choice with those purples! Wonderful.

Queenie said...

Please join us this week at EtsyInspired Challenge Blog!! We'd love to see your beautiful work!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card. Love how you colored the fruit and your ribbon technique is lovely. Thanks for playing at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...